• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

RAT, Sally the Shaker, and the bottle of Scotch - Christmas 1966

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magman

Reaction score
Shortened

55 years ago the pilot that bent the refueling probe on “ my“ F-100C gave the Crew Chief (me) the required bottle of Scotch to make amends. It was the last time I saw him In person.He left for Vietnam and was shot down. The pilot was George” Bud” Day who is the recipient of the Medal of Honor and many other awards. Bud was also John McCains cellmate in the Hanoi Hilton.

I am the RAT ( retired air technician ) and 53-1714 was called Sally the Shaker due to her flight characteristics.

The J& B was left sealed since he was imprisoned and tortured.

Someday i’ll write the whole story.

google George “ Bud” Day and the Collings F-100F for a good read. Merry Christmas!

Aircraft below is “ Old Sick One” ( 061) . Sister ship of Sally the Shaker.

Note refueling probe. ( Unbent )

D8EDEA53-1154-42FA-816B-30EE009457D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D85ED00-EB76-4DAD-BA94-9F0EC75A8316.jpeg
    6D85ED00-EB76-4DAD-BA94-9F0EC75A8316.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back