• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ran my first air race on Saturday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLL

Reaction score
I have a friend at our airport the has been flying in the Sport Air Racing League for several years. Since I have had my plan, he has been encouraging me - and pretty much everyone - to come out to a couple of more local races. They have been having the Big Muddy race our of KMDH, near Carbondale IL, the last few years. Thus I went and "raced" this year.

For those not familiar, the races is really a timed event over a set course. Think of it as timed navigation. This years course was about 126 nm, with 8 turns. I had planned for 130 mph speed, and averaged 131. So I hit the plan. Another Cherokee 180 (and a mutual friend of our buddy Dave) averaged 138. So I got beat (but a 2nd in class trophy, bittersweet but I'll take it...), Thus I and my plane have work to do.

Was a great time, with great people involved. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for some fun flying. If you're a relatively new pilot like me, it's a great exercise too.

http://sportairrace.org/sarl/node/2521

Racer 79 2878 finish sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back