• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

radio static when on ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperCrash

Reaction score
I recently purchased an awesome 77 archer. I have really enjoyed flying my archer.

I have an annoying intermittent issue with my Garmin 430 COM 1 radio. When on the ground the COM1 radio will some times crackle and with heavy static, so much so it is unusable. I have had planes directly in front of my while on the ground and it is horrible. I can hear aircraft at patter altitude fine. I can switch to my COM2 radio and I do not experience the same issue. The second radio appears to work correctly and this signal drop out as I call it seems to be confined to COM1 as best I can tell.

Once I am off the ground, it works 98% of the time. I can occasionally get the garbled signal when I am talking with ATC and a specific locations, once I fly for a bit, the same ATC controller sounds fine.

My fear is that I may have a incorrect antenna wavelength or something technically incorrect. Or a intermittent grounding problem. Does this sound like something I can or should investigate on my own with my mechanic prior to calling the expensive avionics guy? Since it is intermittent, I don't want to get stuck with hours and hours for billed time and no solution. :) Any advice or common symptoms for archer with COM issues ?

Thank and I love the new site!!!!!

Latest posts

Back