• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Question on Instrument placement...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be installing a UBG-16 engine monitor in a few months during the next annual, and thinking about placement. But first a little background. I am a Day, VFR only flyer... using Garmin Pilot on a tablet on the yoke for 99% of my navigation information, and on my phones as backup 2 and 3. I have 1 Nav/Com radio, a great working MX-170b that was "checked over" a few years ago by the manufacture. I use the nav side rarely as following roads is my normal way to go.

With that in mind, I am considering installing the UBG-16 where the OBI is currently, next to the tachometer. Moving the OBI down to where the EGT Gage is now, as it will no longer be needed. My thought is that having the engine monitor next to the tachometer and better line of sight will be providing better information than the OBI that really is never used. The current CHT is low on the left and hard to see.
20160313_143927.jpg

Another location is below the radio, slightly to the right as there is a hole behind the panel cover.... but the OBI location seams to be better....

I have no plans of getting into IFR training, so getting this airplane equipped for that mission is not on the radar... having it as a good weekend 2 to 4 hr trip aircraft is what I have in mind. Is this a good option??...

Latest posts

Back