• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Question about %HP and mixture leaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with mixture settings, %HP, fuel flow, LOP, etc with my PA32-300 and JPI EDM900 engine monitor. It has been hot out recently so DA has been pretty high. I have noticed that at altitude (6500ft for example), when I lean aggressively or to LOP territory, the %HP drops off. I expect to lose some power as I get to peak and past it in the lean direction. If I start Rich of peak at like 70-75% HP by the time I get to LOP the JPI indicates 60-65%. I have to download the latest flight data for the specifics. I do not touch the throttle or prop during this time. My question is, what parameters does the JPI use in the calculation of %HP? I thought it was MAP, RPM, and OAT. How does it know the %HP reduction as none of these change?

Latest posts

Back