• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Question About Experience of CFII

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
I've been working with a recently minted CFII. Young kid, nice but not much "real" experience as a pilot since finishing his aviation related degree & certificates in 2013 and getting his CFII in 2014 and I believe he has not actually had 1 IFR student get his ticket yet. He told me he's probably done teaching after July as he's moving on to a regional airline.

So I have the option of finishing up my IFR with him OR working with one of those IFR Finish Up programs (AFIT). The AFIT CFI I would work with has 30 years of experience as pilot/corporate pilot/CFII etc.. and has some very positive accolades from students.

My question is... is there a real benefit to having a CFII with more a lot more experience to finish up my IFR training with? Although I like the young CFI I've been working with over the last 12 months I often see/notice the inexperience w/ practical IFR flying and even teaching so a part of me wonders if I should be working with some one who's been there and done that for such an important rating as the IFR???

Latest posts

Back