• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Purdue / NAA Students Seek Project Cherokee

jeffreyengler

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're a team of students from Purdue and the National Aviation Academy. We're looking to fix up a project Cherokee and show it at Oshkosh this summer. Does anyone know of any ragged out planes that might be available? Ideally it's a Cherokee with Hershey Bar wings, 140-180, but we're flexible. We're looking to spend less than $10,000. We could even advertise your business on the plane at the air show.

Know of any planes that might be available, maybe one under a tarp at the airfield? Thank you very much!

Jeff

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Check the salvage yards and see if they will donate one for the advertising.

I've been doing this for years from radios to tires, all you have to do is ask, if you get a no, ask elsewhere.

arkvet

Reaction score
There's an old 140 or 160 sitting on the Tarmac at my local field that is basically as you describe. It hasn't flown for a couple years and needs a lot of work. I'm in northeast Arkansas. I have no idea what a ferry permit entails or how far this bird would be from getting one

Of course none of that matters unless they guy is wanting to sell, but given its neglect I can't imagine why he wouldn't.

I'm in northeast Arkansas and could check on it if you think it might be something you were interested in.

voretaq7

Reaction score
I would definitely consider 65cherokee140's plane (the one ifly4fun linked to) - It needs a wing, which is a good repair to do & document (either repairing the spar as a major repair or replacing the whole wing).

$7500 plus the wing repair plus getting it to Purdue might be pushing your budget but it's worth looking into.

jeffreyengler

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll reach out to the folks suggested. And I'll keep you posted. The overall plan is to turn the plane into a hybrid by adding electric motors to the wings. It's going to be a lot of work, but we're excited. Thanks again!

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll reach out to the folks suggested. And I'll keep you posted. The overall plan is to turn the plane into a hybrid by adding electric motors to the wings. It's going to be a lot of work, but we're excited. Thanks again!

.... Uhhhh... Be better off with a light twin for w&b reasons. Otherwise you will have to have alot of dead weight in the nose.