• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Psychology of masks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
During WW2 I was a kid living in Brooklyn NY. Uncle Sam gave we civilians a project. Much of our food came in cans. We were instructed to cut out the top and bottom of each can, put the can on the floor and stomp it flat. As an energetic kid my patriotic task was to do the stomping, which I enjoyed greatly, thinking of all the tanks and battleships that would be made out of the cans.

Alas, after the war was over it became known that the can stomping project had nothing to do with recycling metal into tanks and battleships. It was a scheme to build the morale of the civilian population by letting them think that they were contributing to the war effort.

Don’t get me wrong: there is a time and a place for wearing a mask. But walking around the lonely streets of Stockbridge on a beautiful sunny day ain’t one. I shed my mask quickly as I exit the post office, but most everyone else continues to wear their mask as they wander around the empty streets.

I have wondered why so many people are attached to their masks. But now I have realized that mask-wearing has become like the can-stomping of WW2. It is a way for people to feel that they are contributing to the elimination of covid-19, and perhaps feel superior to people like me who go maskless whenever appropriate. Some masks have become a fashion statement. With all the stress of social distancing and being locked down at home it is probably beneficial to mental health to let people enjoy their masks even in situations such the empty streets.

Alas, it’s not actually going to accomplish anything towards the elimination of covid-19.

Latest posts

Back