• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Propellor options for Arrow IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
My partners and I own a 1979 PA28-RT201 normally aspirated Arrow IV with a Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine. The prop is the original Hartzell that came with the plane. We had to have the prop overhauled a few years ago, at which time the prop shop informed us that this would be the last overhaul that could be done. Next time we’re going to have to spring for a new one. The prop is currently working fine and we expect it to give us hundreds of more hours and several more years of service (knock on wood), but you never know. So, I have started trying to educate myself on the various options should we suddenly be faced with a decision as to which prop to buy.

I am aware that over the years many of the props used on Arrows required placarding for various restrictions on combinations of RPM and MP. The POH for our Arrow lists two propeller models for our plane. The two-bladed Hartzell model that we have, model HC-C2YK-1( )F, requires no such restrictions, while the two-bladed McCauley B2D34C213 imposes a requirement to “avoid continuous operation between 1500 and 1950 RPM below 15 inches MP.” Naturally, in shopping for a new prop we would certainly want to avoid any models that would impose any RPM/MP restrictions.

We also have no interest in going to a 3-blade prop. The increased weight, slight reduction in cruise performance, and higher cost seem hard to justify in exchange for a bit of improvement in takeoff and climb performance. So, what we are looking for is a 2-blade model approved for installation in our plane and that does not carry any RPM/MP restrictions. As far as I know, we are pretty much limited to Hartzell and McCauley. If any other manufacturers have an STC for the Arrow I haven’t heard about it. I’m not interested in any exotic “one-offs” that some shop somewhere has STC’ed, regardless of how spectacular the claimed performance boost.

Both McCauley and Hartzell provide, on their websites, application guides that identify which of their props are approved for each airplane model. According to the McCauley guide, they offer four different models for the PA28-RT201, two of which are 2-blade types. Both of these, according to notes included in the guide, carry some sort of RPM/MP restriction.

The Hartzell guide offers two choices for 2-blade models. One is the same HC-C2YK-1 ( )F that we have now and the other is HC-C2YR-1BFP, which apparently has “scimitar” blades, and is also free of RPM/MP restrictions when used with the Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine.

So, it appears that within our defined search restrictions we have just the two Hartzell models available to us. According to Knots 2 U, the scimitar model gives slightly improved performance but it’s presumably more costly. Do any Arrow drivers have experience with this prop, or have knowledge about options I’m not aware of?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back