• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Propeller: overhaul vs replace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulro

Reaction score
We're about to put a new factory remanufactured engine in our 1974 PA-32-300. It's still got the original prop. I don't have the logs at hand (they're with my partner atm) so I am not 100% how long it's been in years or TT since the last prop overhaul. We're debating what to do with the prop:

• just replace it. Expensive, but we can do it and be done with it then have a plane with 0 SFRM on engine and prop, plus we can get what we want
  • overhaul it. Also expensive, but exactly how expensive is unclear.
  • reseal it. Nearly as expensive as an overhaul, at least from what I read.
  • leave it alone and continue to IRAN it at each annual. Least expensive, but dependent on how good the annual inspections are.
For those of you who have replaced your engine, what did you do about the prop? If you've had a prop overhaul. what did you pay for overhauling a 2-blade prop in the past? Who'd you use, and would you use them again?

Latest posts

Back