• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Propeller installation and balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamikaze

Reaction score
So last year I was chasing down what seemed like excessive vibrations.

In the process, I had the propeller installation looked at, as I suspected it had been improperly re-installed previously after working on an unrelated problem.

I also found out about dynamic balancing.

So, with those two pieces of information, I went to the local guy that does dynamic prop balancing and said:

- Could you check whether my prop is properly installed?
- If not, remove and re-install properly
- Then dynamically balance it.

He ended up removing it, re-installing it, and balancing it. Great.

Turns out he did it wrong too (!@#%@#%).

As a matter of principle, I may go chase after him to fix his work, but still I'm curious ... how big a deal is it to have a propeller not installed exactly as per the MM? I mean everything runs great otherwise, and if it wasn't for the fact I'm a stickler for details and have a copy of the MM myself to check after the mechanics, no one would be the wiser really.

The prop is due in two years I think, I may just wait, the logistics of getting the plane in to see the guy, and arguing about it, might not be worth it, if it's otherwise not that big a deal.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back