• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Prop reseal or overhaul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1971 Arrow P28R-200. Only used for private flights, no commercial activities. Hartzell 2 blade prop; 700+ hours TIS, over 12 years on the plane. Several small nicks and wear on the leading edges, but other than that no signs of distress.

My annual is coming up, and I am thinking I would like to have the prop inspected. I don’t know what Hartzell’s recommendations for TIS are, but just thinking it’s time. Also wondering if some prop TLC might smooth out some vibrations (nothing excessive, but not the smoothest ride either).

Question: my mechanic will send out the prop for inspection, but asks me if I want a “reseal” or a “full overhaul”. He doesn’t recommend a full overhaul as it will involve grinding material off the prop. I don’t know what the cost difference is yet either. Anyone know the difference, and/or have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Pete

Latest posts

Back