• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Prop control freezing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious if this is a problem others have encountered. Anytime I pickup anything more than a trace of ice the prop control cable will collect enough to prevent it from moving to a lower rpm setting, such as pulling it back a few hundred rpm at the top of descent. Higher rpm is no problem because the control is moving out, it is only an issue when the control is retracting. Never been an issue with any of my other planes, but if memory serves none of the controls are exposed, they are behind the governor body, etc in a manner to prevents ice from collecting.

The first couple times it happened I thought something had gone wonky with the governor, but soon I noticed it only happened if I had picked up any ice.

Is this a common problem on the PA32 series?? Perhaps there is supposed to be a boot on the thing that simply is missing.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back