• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Problem with Nav Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamikaze

Reaction score
Hi all,

After my paint job, I was left with one little snag that I might try to fix myself, out of sheer convenience (and the paint shop hasn't returned my e-mail, though I haven't tried very hard yet).

The green/starboard/right nav light doesn't come on without me giving it a "flick". Then it seems to stay on for the flight. It also seems to run a lot hotter than the other one.

this stinks of something creating extra resistance physically, and the flick gets the juice going ... I'm just a little worried it'll shorten its life-span, or just stop working at some point, or turn off mid night-flight, etc ...

Not having taken these things apart before, I'm not sure what to expect (Well, I've seen the diagrams). Has anyone seen something like this before? Any obvious suspect? Can the light assembly itself be taken apart?

I'm guessing some paint might've leaked in somewhere and might be what's causing resistance ... Could it be anything else?

The light assembly is a fairly common Whelen nav/strobe combo like this one: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/Aircraft/L ... 50PG14.jpg (though I don't have the exact model off hand with me right now).

I'm going to try and attach a little video ...

Latest posts

Back