• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Problem with Garmin 430W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgreen

Reaction score
I get the "Backlight failure" message and the screen goes blank. It only happens at night, and all the GPS guidance functions still work except that you can't see the map screen. Shine a flashlight on the screen and the picture comes back on for about 30 seconds. So I conclude that the photo sensor which is supposed to dim the screen in low ambient light is screwing up. There is a way to control the screen intensity manually. The Garmin manual says Backlight failure requires the unit to be returned to a dealer for repair.

My questions: Will manual control eliminate the problem? Has anybody else experienced this failure mode?

Latest posts

Back