• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Prioritizing Panel Upgrades: Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajs

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on where to prioritize panel upgrades.

My current setup:
  • KMA24 Audio Panel
  • GNS 430W
    • Last repaired by Garmin in 2014. (Early 28V only version upgraded to WAAS in 2007. There must be a DC-DC somewhere as the plane is a 12V system.)
  • KX165
    • Last repaired 2017, internal memory chip
  • KAP150 Autopilot
    • About 200 hrs since overhaul of DG and AI. KC-191 repaired 2015. Roll servo motor replaced, pitch servo repaired in 2017
  • KT79 Transponder
    • Swapped with used one in 2018 after failure.
  • KR87 ADF
  • KN62A DME
  • GDL-88
  • FS210
  • NAT mono 4-place intercom
Historically, I've flown up to light+ IFR, PA-28-236. I fly often with two kids in the back.

My immediate goal is to upgrade the kids (5yr, 3yr) to ANR headsets (for hearing protection and comfort) and add powered LEMO jacks for everyone so that I don't have to deal with batteries. Also, a goal is to allow the kids to listen to entertainment via the headsets to help with the longer trips. Also, I'm looking for a better isolate method, as it gets old having to switch back and forth between ISO and normal to deal with the kids.

Perhaps it's wise at this point to invest in a more modern audio panel that has a stereo intercom and ability to mute passengers during radio transmissions and to make the co-pilot a "passenger".

For planning purposes, I'm trying to prioritize what is needed next so that things can get updated incrementally rather than a full panel replacement and also get more reliable avionics. Some thoughts of what may be needed: audio panel/intercom, engine monitor, newer GPS/Comm (perhaps swap out the KX165 for a GNC 355), transponder, GI275 (if one of the gyros fail). I plan on keeping the plane a long time, so also want to get the most use out of an avionics investment.

Thoughts / opinions on where best to invest in upgrades?

Latest posts

Back