• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

power tow for Dakota

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've ordered one for my PA28-235 from here:

http://www.minimaxtugs.com

Mine has wheel pants, so I ordered the wheel pants version, which would work for ones without as well. I'll post a report after it arrives (just ordered it late last week). Of course, now I'll have to wait for the 12" of snow we got on the 5th day of spring to melt, and for the giant mountain of snow I'm sure that was pushed up beside my hangar to melt before I can use it anyway. Normally they get it past my door, but with 12" to push, I'm doubtful......

Mark

Windsockbob

Reaction score
My Dakota has wheel pants which eliminates some of the tows available. Thanks for the help.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The tug arrived yesterday. It took about 30-45 minutes to put together in the shop. I got a chance to take out to the airport tonight and pull the plane out and put it back in once before the sun went down tonight (thank you daylight savings time!). My initial impression is good, it has plenty of power to move the plane around. Traction while pulling was a problem at first, but as the wheels got roughed up, and I learned how to apply pressure to give them more traction, it worked fine. Pushing the plane, which is uphill slightly into my hanger, worked great, and it didn't have any problem with traction. After pulling the plane out, pushing back in, and I had spent some time just running it around with no load to get used to it, the battery on the drill was still showing full charge. I can't get back out to the airport until Saturday, but I'll try to take some pictures, and maybe a video to post.

Mark

Windsockbob

Reaction score
That sounds like what I'm searching for. My Dakota is hangared and there is a track for the hangar doors that acts like a chock. Right now I have to shove my plane across those tracks. Any problems with fitting over the wheel fairing?

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No problem fitting over the wheel pants, it is designed for that. It hooks onto the normal tow bar points, then it has a horizontal arm that extends forward and connects to a vertical support on the tug. The vertical support is well forward of the wheel pant. I'm going to head out to the hangar in a bit, I'll take a picture with it connected while I'm out there.
Mark

Latest posts