• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Power Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To all that have opinions :). Recently, as in the past month and a half my '69 Cherokee 180 doesn't want to build up full rpm. On run up the mags check out with only 50 rpm drop on both. Carb heat also is causing proper drop. During take off I have been leaning it out until I get an rpm of about 22 to 2300. Once off the ground it seems to fly fine as long as I have it leaned out. I had talked to an AP about it since I'm very new to flying and just noticed something a little off when the weather turned cold. He acted like it wasn't a big deal and told me he would talk to the person he uses to rebuild engines and get back with me(he didn't). I also talked to my co-owner and he was going to take it up to see what he thought. Long story short, he finally went to use the plane to day and is not comfortable with it so is having to drive 9 hrs instead of getting to fly. Anyway we pulled the plugs to check and couldn't find any fouling or residue on them, checked the air filter and it was good, checked fuel screen, nothing in it. Checked cables and clamps going to the carburetor. We ran up and down the runway several times between check and nothing made any difference. I had stood outside the airplane while he ran it up to different rpms and I couldn't detect any missing or irregularities until it was at the higher rpms then it would run rough some. Our regular shop is in a bit of uproar right at the moment as they are having a change in personnel so its not likely we can get it in anywhere soon. I and my co-owner are pretty convinced we have a carburetor issue and I am wondering if anyone here have experienced similar symptoms and what their resolution was and or even if someone knows a good shop close to k83.

Thanks for any information.
Alan

Latest posts

Back