• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Power Flow Exhaust Install!...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I wanted to document the installation of a Power Flow Exhaust on my 140 / 180.... This plane was re-powered in 1971 with an O-360-A4A and a 60 inch pitch prop, with the paperwork stating all parts used to convert to a 180... The exhaust is the old wrap-around 140 style same as was on the 150hp O-320... and it needs some help anyway.

Robin has been very helpful with information and how the new system will improve the performance. Currently, I am based at 4500 ft KSPK, with the past months seeing DA of 7000 to 8000 ft... Climb performance a about 1950 lbs is 600ft per min at 85 MPH. Static RPM is 2350, and cruse speed is 155 mph true at 9k to 10k DA, running 2600ish rpm. Leaned to best power by max RPM. Normally I see 8.5 to 9.0 GPH fuel burn. These are about the standard numbers I see, and have photos of the instruments to help document the data. The Tach has not been checked for accuracy, so will be doing that after the install....

The wrap-around exhaust has some flow issues, with the tunes header length and collector of the new system fixing will be looking for improved tongue resulting in improved climb. Not so sure the top speed will improve at all, but have other things to change to improve that. There is a Diamond DA40 in for a 100 hr inspection and it has the Power Flow system, and is sure looks better than what I have on my plane. The A&P that I work with thinks the exhaust is not going to make a difference, and is a waste of money, but as a hot rodder at hart is interested in seeing what it will do.

Will add photos as we work on it tomorrow.... These are some before installing new engine mounts a few years ago. and a "small" exhaust leak last year...
20171103_085017.jpg20171103_085006.jpg 20171103_084939.jpg20190316_144152.jpg

Latest posts

Back