• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Possible Alternator/Voltage Regulator Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew

Reaction score
I'm having an intermittent problem with my Arrow. On my last flight, I started everything up and noticed that the load meter was reading 0 amps and my battery voltage was 11.9 volts or thereabouts. Of course, it was clear that the alternator was not charging the battery. I flipped the alternator switch off and then on, and the battery immediately began to charge and the load meter began indicating a normal load. Thinking this was a one-time fluke, I continued the flight without issue.

Yesterday, I went out to fly again and I had the same behavior. However, flipping the alternator switch did nothing. I tried resetting both the battery and alternator master, and still no success. I checked the breakers for both alternator main and field, and both were in. I tried pushing them in and still no success. Obviously, without the alternator charging the battery, I did not continue the flight.

Unfortunately the field I'm based out of has no maintenance on site and will require me to use radio and transponder to get out.

So, before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this issue or could give me any ideas for what to try. Although the alternator could be the culprit, I don't really think it would fail intermittently. I have a hunch it may be the voltage regulator, but don't really know how to check it. Any idea how long a pretty much fully charged battery will last to at least get me out to where I don't need a transponder? I have a handheld radio, so at least I have comms covered.

Latest posts

Back