• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

POH-Flight Manual- 1978 and prior?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himark

Reaction score
I have had several Cherokees and only one newer than a 78. That one had a actual flight manual as well as a POH. All others just have that old small paper back POH that has the Model and serial hand written on inside cover. I have had one DPE do two check rides with people and he said the age of the airplane (1969) the paper back is what is required. I have another DPE (2nd year on the job) that said he fails lots of cherokee check ride guys for not having the right Flight Manual.
I have read airplanes certified after March, 1 1978 must have an airplane flight manual per 23.1851 amendment 23-21. Then I hear guys saying..."well I have one and mines a 71..etc etc"

From what I understand the FAA mandated a standard in 1978 BECAUSE manufactures were pretty much doing what ever they wanted with no standard. Hence the new reg.

SO, Did Piper start putting them in sooner then the mandate? I just want to have my facts all straight to battle if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back