• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Please help! Fuel pump, fuel flow problem/question- in the middle of long cross count

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
Hey all, flying back my Cherokee 6 from Florida to L.A. now. It’s an IO540-K1A5. I have the JPI 900 engine monitor installed.

When I turn the aux fuel pump on, I notice that my fuel flow increases a lot, fuel pressure decreases a little, and EGTs slowly rise. On my previous bird, I had a Jpi 830 and the fuel pump being turned on did not affect fuel flow numbers at all. It seems like this shouldn’t be happening.

Example- in cruise I turn on fuel pump to switch tanks and fuel pressure goes from 36 to 33, fuel flow goes from 13.8 to 20, and egts slowly rise. When I turn it off everything settles back to where they were. Immediately after I tested enrichening the mixture and the egts fell. This tells me I was already on the rich side of peak (which I had previosuly leaned to 100 ROP). Since the egts rose when I turned on the fuel pump I thought maybe I somehow I was on the lean side of peak and richening would cause egts to rise but that is not what it is happening.

the fuel flow transducer is fairly accurate to the actual amount of fuel consumed except on the tank we use for takeoff. I suspect this is because the fuel pump remains on for awhile and the transducer says we are using more fuel than the engine is actually using. All of the other tanks use a tiny little bit more in reality than the transducer and fuel flow indicate. Except for the tank we use to depart. This leads me to believe the engine isn’t actually getting this increased amount of fuel (along with the egt rise).

I don’t know enough about the fuel system or the placement of the fuel flow transducer to figure anything beyond this out. Looking for some help. In the middle of the cross country trip and wondering if I should be doing anything about it!

Latest posts

Back