• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Plastic Props

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
Many new planes today come with a plastic prop. In over fifty years of flying I have never had a problem with a prop: wood or metal two or three blades. My son (the airline pilot) had bought a new Rans S21./ He usually flies a B737, so I suggested that he get a low tech Cub. But he decided on the S21, which is a very nice all metal taildragger, OK, but he has equipped it with all the avionic gadgets he has in the B737.

Rans was performing pre-delivery flight testing when severe vibration occurred The pilot shut down the engine and,, good news, made an uneventful off field landing. Upon inspection one blade of the 3-bl;ade CS prop had delamination for about five inches near the tip. The entire prop, including the hub will be replaced.

Minor damage to a plastic prop is not hard to repair. Hartzell has a good video on the internet showing how to do it. (But they don't talk about delamination, I bet that it is not repairable.

Anyone else have some experience with plastic props?

Latest posts

Back