• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PiperSport Crash in Qld, Australia.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physio

Reaction score
Hello. I am hoping someone might be able to assist my search for answers. I am learning to fly here in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia. I have only done about 20 hours or so, and have just completed my first solo's. I am learning in a Jabiru 160C. On Monday (4 days ago), my Flight Instructor and his student who was my good friend (I introduced him to the flight school) crashed into a cane field. Both of them did not survive. He was up to his sixth or so lesson and they were practicing stalls on this day as part of routine flying training. They were flying a Piper Sport, which has only been at the flight school for a short time, less than a year I believe. There are pictures of the crash site now posted on the net - I have added this link in the hope that someone might offer some answers to my below questions (http://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media ... rash_1.jpg). The results of the investigation obviously won't be released for quite sometime, and although only speculation it appears the Piper entered a flat spin. There was no mayday call received on the CTAF on which we operate at this aerodrome. I don't know if this aircraft had a parachute. If it does it wasn't deployed. There was no damage to any of the cane around the aircraft - it has come straight down and on it's belly.
What I would really like to know if anyone can help is how does a Piper enter a flat spin? Does this differ to any other aircraft getting into a flat spin. And how to recover from it. Can the Piper be recovered from a flat spin should it occur? And what would prevent a recovery?
I'm trying to make some sense out of this tragic loss but educating myself and hopefully others will perhaps prevent something like this from occurring again. These times are very tough for my mates direct family and myself. Any assistance would really be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nathan.

Latest posts

Back