• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper Storm Window Screen

jetjockey

Reaction score
Keep out the bugs and bees and keep cockpit temps down with this handy storm window screen. Clips right in place with window open for summertime ventilation and is removed before flight.
Allows door to be closed and locked while allowing airflow into cockpit. Fits Pipers with 4-1/8" x 7-1/2" window and hinge as shown in picture.
These screens are made or durable plastic which you can bend to form to the curvature of the glass, with nylon screening and a soft backing to protect the plexiglass, and are hand assembled.
$19.95 + $2.95 S&H... For ordering info email [email protected] or search eBay listing # 181634585869View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1420302805.759952.jpg

Last edited:

voretaq7

Reaction score
Just a thought: As you have this labeled "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" and as the current design would interfere with using a Cool Scoop perhaps you would consider integrating an air scoop in a future model?
The Piper Yelling Door is pretty useless for ground ventilation without a scoop in my experience, and integrating one would provide the best of both worlds for ground ops...

jetjockey

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.. That thought did cross our minds.. I have a scoop now as well and it serves no purpose while parked . So I just swing it back and put in the screen .. If you are allergic to bees and I have had cockpit bee encounters in the past, this has eliminated that altogether.. Safe Flights Everyone

voretaq7

Reaction score
If you are allergic to bees and I have had cockpit bee encounters in the past, this has eliminated that altogether.
Yeah it seems good for that. I'd have to do more extensive bee-proofing though (my 180C has the overhead vent that's basically a bunch of big holes in the cabin roof when opened).

. . . of course none of that helps when you leave the big ol' cabin and baggage doors open during your preflight anyway :oops:

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it seems good for that. I'd have to do more extensive bee-proofing though (my 180C has the overhead vent that's basically a bunch of big holes in the cabin roof when opened).

. . . of course none of that helps when you leave the big ol' cabin and baggage doors open during your preflight anyway :oops:
Mine has the holes in the roof also, and the scoops on the side for the vents. Part of my post flight is to make sure all those are closed so no critters get in. I ordered one of these so I can at least leave that window open to get a little air in side.
Mark

voretaq7

Reaction score
Mine has the holes in the roof also, and the scoops on the side for the vents. Part of my post flight is to make sure all those are closed so no critters get in. I ordered one of these so I can at least leave that window open to get a little air in side.
Mark
I usually crack the overhead vent (not enough so bees and such can get in - just a little slit in each of the openings) when I park the plane and shut everything else up. I've left my storm window open and had a light drizzle pass over the field - had to dry out the wall panel & carpet after that, so I'm pretty obsessive about making sure that's closed when I leave the plane.

The side scoops have usually lost their foam weatherstripping and provide some airflow when parked (surprisingly no water leaks on the ground or air leaks in flight when closed though).

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually crack the overhead vent (not enough so bees and such can get in - just a little slit in each of the openings) when I park the plane and shut everything else up. I've left my storm window open and had a light drizzle pass over the field - had to dry out the wall panel & carpet after that, so I'm pretty obsessive about making sure that's closed when I leave the plane.

The side scoops have usually lost their foam weatherstripping and provide some airflow when parked (surprisingly no water leaks on the ground or air leaks in flight when closed though).
Yes, on a ramp it will need to be closed, I don't like water in my airplane! But in my hangar it will help quite a bit, keep some air moving to moisture doesn't build up in the cockpit (Floriday).
Mark

jetjockey

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,,
Yes if I'm ramped overnight or for any length in time I would also leave the window closed.. I definitely leave the screen in when hangared in the summer.. Gets mighty warm in that tin can of a hangar... Usually when I fly somewhere for the day to play golf there's no rain anyway so the screen is handy. ✈️🚁

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The screen arrived yesterday, and looks exactly as pictured. Unfortunately I didn't look at the picture closely, and it doesn't work for my rather old 1964 235. My pilot window has an aluminum frame around it, and is larger than the screen, plus the latch is on the part that swings down, not on the stationary window.

No worries, I'm sure I'll find someone with the correct window that would like a screen for a significant discount!

Mark

voretaq7

Reaction score
The screen arrived yesterday, and looks exactly as pictured. Unfortunately I didn't look at the picture closely, and it doesn't work for my rather old 1964 235. My pilot window has an aluminum frame around it, and is larger than the screen, plus the latch is on the part that swings down, not on the stationary window.

No worries, I'm sure I'll find someone with the correct window that would like a screen for a significant discount!

Mark
...or you could replace that clunky aluminum frame with a nice clear window. What's a few bucks and an afternoon using language that would make a sailor blush while you scrape off the old gunk that window is probably held in with? :lol: