• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper AirConditioning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgranger

Reaction score
I owned a 1978 Cherokee-6 for 15 years with factory A/C. I spend many many hours and dollars trying to get the thing to work for more than 2 weeks. I finally gave up, flying all over north America with the extra useless weight. I recently bought a really nice 98 Saratoga HP with factory A/C. This time I was determined to make sure it worked. After a year and my luck the compressor died. Piper wanted $1800 and the compressor was on back order. My A&P waited 7 months but Piper still did not have any compressors. Summer was coming on and I wanted cool in the plane. After a little research, the piper compressor is in fact a standard automotive compressor. It is also used in other high end airplanes (and jets). Sanden, Model S5111 using HFC134A. I purchased the compressor, expansion valve, dryer, flush for about $300 brand new with a 1 year warranty. The rear plate had a slightly different hose connection orientation, so I simply switched rear plates and I am now cool again.
dGranger

Latest posts

Back