• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Parts and paint.....but mostly paint.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My main thing here is I have no idea where to start with paint. What do you guys look for in a paint shop? I live in Florida and it’s been explained to me that I should have the aircraft painted out of state due to the intrinsic corrosive properties of the salty Florida air, I’ve had other people tell me that’s bunk. This is really my main question, in state, out of state, does it matter? I’m looking to get the same paint scheme or something similar so it shouldn’t be too expensive, I’m thinking I’ll be in the $10k range on my 1966 Cherokee 180C.

I’m in Tampa so there’s more than a few options in the central Florida area, I’d love to hear recommendations, in or out of state. I’ve heard people say the paint shop does more rigging than anyone so I definitely need to have that looked at. Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Now for the parts part. I’m definitely getting the K2U upswept wing tips with the HIDs, beyond that I was looking at the stabilator tips and the dorsal extension. I’m not looking for any speed gains, I’m looking for lower stall speeds and increased low speed handling. Does anyone have any experience with the stabilator tips or the dorsal extension? I can’t find much in the way of testimonials. I’d want them before the paint but if they don’t do anything in the way of performance then they’re just added weight.

thanks in advance for the help.

Latest posts

Back