• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Partial Glass upgrade-advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my IFR training and I'd like to upgrade my panel prior to starting but looking for cost vs benefit analysis on the available units.
Goals: (1) orient myself to looking at glass instruments for future planes; (2) get GPSS steering to reduce single pilot workload; (3) no need to overhaul my DG and AI which are starting to show their age; (4) less reliance on vacuum pump for critical instruments (must keep vac pump for autopilot); (5) electronic OAT probe.

Installed equipment:
Avidyne 440
Narco MK 12D TSO Nav/Comm
Garmin GI-106A VOR/LOC & glidescope CDI indicator
Narco ID-824 VOR/LOC Indicator
Piper Autocontrol III autopilot
STEC-System 60 altitude hold/vertical speed/glide scope

This isn't my forever plane, but I'm going to keep her for awhile longer. I've gone back and forth between an Aspen, couple of G5's or GI-275's, and waiting on the AV-30 but I'm looking for some advice before I delve into getting quotes from shops. I've also got a great IA/A&P that lets me assist with owner installs and sign offs so the AV-30 is appealing. Are the other units capable of this kind of install? Where's my best bang for my buck?

Attachments

• 59873342151__04930646-1F23-4F3B-BE64-8A8416059135.JPG
    59873342151__04930646-1F23-4F3B-BE64-8A8416059135.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back