• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Paper Avionics Manuals needed on airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting
Reaction score
Of course carry the paper POH within reach. But what about all the various avionics manuals? If I have them in electronic format on my iPad, do I still need to carry all the paper ones in the airplane?

I believe it depends on the STCs/install documents for the device. but there are sort-of cross over notions that using EFBs require a back up (paper or a second EFB). A dead battery or overheated ipad shut down is not an excuse for not having required documents immediately available for your flight.

the only ones you ne
Of course carry the paper POH within reach. But what about all the various avionics manuals? If I have them in electronic format on my iPad, do I still need to carry all the paper ones in the airplane?
the only avionics manuals required to be on board are those that were installed under an STC and therefore have Approved Flight Manual Supplements, such as a GNS430 gps/nav/com, GTX transponder, etc. And only the AFMS is required, not the entire operating manual.

the only ones you ne

the only avionics manuals required to be on board are those that were installed under an STC and therefore have Approved Flight Manual Supplements, such as a GNS430 gps/nav/com, GTX transponder, etc. And only the AFMS is required, not the entire operating manual.
In some cases, the AFMS will specify that the Pilot's Guide or Cockpit Guide needs to be in the plane, in which case, you will need to have it, but in most cases, agreed—just snap the AFMS into the back of your POH binder and you're good to go.

I have started loading key documents onto Foreflight. I have my POH, my Piper Service Manual, the Piper Inspection Checklist, my Parts Manual, photo of Registration Certificate, Medical certificate, log entries for annual inspections, and Biennial Flight Review. Makes it easy to verify currency or address maintenance issues when at another airport. I carry abreviated operation guides for avionics. King used to make these available for their avionics.

Last edited:
I have started loading key documents onto Foreflight. I have my POH, my Piper Service Manual, the Piper Inspection Checklist, my Parts Manual, photo of Registration Certificate, Medical certificate, log entries for annual inspections, and Biennial Flight Review. Makes it easy to verify currency or address maintenance issues when at another airport. I carry abreviated operation guides for avionics. King used to make these available for their avionics.
Garmin Pilot and FltPlan Go support that too, but I prefer to keep them in Dropbox. Offline works just as well, but you're not tied to a single app, and can open them on any device, anywhere.

It also means you don't have to navigate away from your current context in FF, GP, or FG to read them—just switch apps.

You need to have the AFMS and sometimes the Pilot's Guide if it is required in the AFMS. Some AFMS's are annotated with installation diagrams, configurations or describe the other integrated equipment so an electronic AFMS might not be complete. Some AFMS's were approved as a major alteration via an FAA 337 so it's more then just STC AFMS's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back