• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Panel smoke / Resistor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very small amount of smoke from under instrument panel during take off roll. T.O aborted and started turning electrical off. Pic 1: The instrument panel was hot just under the Fuel P. switch. I believe the burning was coming from the circled area (Next to the Fuel P. switch). I thought this was a ground, but later found it to be a resistor?

Pic 2: The resistor had two pig-tail connections going to the Instrument/Nav light switch. One connection on top (still on in the photo) and one on the bottom (I believe this to be the culprit). The bottom wire was loose. I took it off and the fine strand of copper wire came with it.

Pic 3: It appears to be isolated from the aluminum panel with plastic washers?

My question is what to do next? Are there better alternatives to these resistors? Can I still buy these? I did not see them on ACS? From the Service Manual it appears to be R1 = 2.5K Ohms. 0.5W.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Latest posts

Back