• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

panel lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19452

Reaction score
I have a '64 Cherokee 180 that does not have panel lights working on any of the original instruments. The upper red map light works and the dome light works. The Radio, Audio panel, Transponder, Digital Tach and CDI all are lighted as shown in the picture below. However, none of the other instruments are lighted..

Can someone give me some guidance on the best way to go about figuring out if this is a problem with the individual lighted instruments or the circuit? I suspect, because of what is and is not lighted, that it is not the individual instruments. I am wondering if the original owner made it so just the overhead read light was functioning for instrument lighting.

I started to take the plastic panel off but stopped when I got all the screws out and still couldn't get the panel off. It seems like it's part of the front edge of the glare shield? That's the way it felt at least. I couldn't find a separation there and I did not want to force it and break the brittle plastic. What I wanted to do is look behind there and see what I could determine. Obviously, I have never seen behind there and so I don't know what to expect or how it's all put together.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to see if I can get these lights working and if not then I will install some of the lighted rings.

IMG_8221.JPG

Latest posts

Back