• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA34 Purchase

GeneS86

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a late 70s/early 80s Seneca within the next couple months. I've found plenty of good ones on Controller and Trade-a-Plane, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone knew of any airplanes off the regular channels that might be of interest. Also, any Seneca owners out there know of any "gotchas" when it comes to these model years? Anything in particular I should check for aside from the normal stuff (ADs, SBs, corrosion, etc.)?

SJCPILOT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 1979 Seneca II, and am very happy with it.

Did you find anything yet?

SJCPILOT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 1979 Seneca II, and am very happy with it.

Did you find anything yet?

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a late 70s/early 80s Seneca within the next couple months. Also, any Seneca owners out there know of any "gotchas" when it comes to these model years? Anything in particular I should check for aside from the normal stuff (ADs, SBs, corrosion, etc.)?
Some of the Gotcha items on my list:
1. Main landing gear truss bracket bushings - check for looseness or spinning of bushing in brackets.
2. Main Gear trunnion plate bolts loose - each main gear has a front and rear trunnion plate attached to the wing spar with bolts. SB replaces 1/4" bolts with 5/16" bolts. Check for signs of fretting around plates and torque check bolts for looseness with airplane on jacks. Supposed to check bolts for tightness by applying 50 in/lb to fasteners.
3. Stainless exhaust shields loose at wing skins. Exhaust vibrations cause these rivets to work loose. Front and rear shields join near tip of exhaust pipe - this joint often has damage by oversize rivets, screws, bolts, etc.
4. Fuel and hydraulic flexible lines hard and brittle. Check hoses for assembly dates on tags around hoses, don't be surprised to see "3Q74" - third quarter 1974 ! Recommended service life is about 8 years, Service Manual states all flexible lines have a maximum lifespan of 20 years.
5. Check cockpit door for cracks around the bottom front hinge. Check especially in the seal area where the inner frame of the door is stamped or hydroformed.

GeneS86

Reaction score
Some of the Gotcha items on my list:
1. Main landing gear truss bracket bushings - check for looseness or spinning of bushing in brackets.
2. Main Gear trunnion plate bolts loose - each main gear has a front and rear trunnion plate attached to the wing spar with bolts. SB replaces 1/4" bolts with 5/16" bolts. Check for signs of fretting around plates and torque check bolts for looseness with airplane on jacks. Supposed to check bolts for tightness by applying 50 in/lb to fasteners.
3. Stainless exhaust shields loose at wing skins. Exhaust vibrations cause these rivets to work loose. Front and rear shields join near tip of exhaust pipe - this joint often has damage by oversize rivets, screws, bolts, etc.
4. Fuel and hydraulic flexible lines hard and brittle. Check hoses for assembly dates on tags around hoses, don't be surprised to see "3Q74" - third quarter 1974 ! Recommended service life is about 8 years, Service Manual states all flexible lines have a maximum lifespan of 20 years.
5. Check cockpit door for cracks around the bottom front hinge. Check especially in the seal area where the inner frame of the door is stamped or hydroformed.
Great info. Thanks very much.