• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28 Dual Pedal Assembly

Warriorgreg

Reaction score
I sold a PA24 set up like this for 1amu. However, they are more in demand and much less available. Also, it depends on the condition of the cylinders.

Heftiger

Reaction score
They are for sale. Just not sure what to ask.
Make an offer.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
If you are thinking of installing this dual toe brake assembly on an older Cherokee that does not have toe brakes at all, you will also need the reinforcement hat channel on the forward side of the engine firewall. The top of the Vee supports where the brake master cylinders are attached has a bolt which passes through the firewall and into the bottom flange of the hat channel reinforcement that goes across the engine's side of the firewall. The hat channel was originally riveted to the firewall with (corrosion resistant steel or monel) flat head rivets peculiar to Piper Aircraft.

Tweety

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully installed these in a Cherokee that did not originally have toe brakes? I heard somewhere that it requires removing one of the fuselage side skins because there's insufficient room to get the rudder bar in otherwise. Is that true?

Warriorgreg

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully installed these in a Cherokee that did not originally have toe brakes? I heard somewhere that it requires removing one of the fuselage side skins because there's insufficient room to get the rudder bar in otherwise. Is that true?
That is how it has to be done on a PA24. I can only assume it the same for a Cherokee.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
I have successfully installed toe brakes in a 1960 Piper Cherokee PA28-160 without removing the skin panels. The upholstery side panels had to come out and the control column pivot bolts had to be removed to slide the control column aft far enough to angle the rudder pedal & bar assembly (torque tubes) up and aft in order to get them out of the cabin. I had removed all the actuating arm bolts so that once the torque tube was angled sufficiently I was able to slide the left and right sides apart and remove the pieces separately. It really wasn't that hard to get the torque tubes out of the airplane.

You have to be committed to the project in order to work through the various problems. It also helped to have another Cherokee close by in order to view the routing of brake hoses. I cut and flared the solid aluminum lines to match the "training aid" airplane before I installed the new torque tubes as the lines are easier to access with the torque tubes removed. The solid lines are already there for the park brake system, you just have to connect the left brake master cylinder to the left side, and the right brake master cylinder to the right side. The park brake master cylinder connects to both left and right brake master cylinder's inlet fittings. The greatest difficulty was locating the firewall side reinforcement channel and it turns out, it wasn't that difficult at all. Careful measurements and blind faith enabled me to drill from the engine side of the firewall to install the channel.

You will definitely need a helper to remove some of the hardware that holds the brake lines to the firewall and later when you bolt in the rudder torque tube supports. Installing the hat channel is also a two person task. I think it took me the better part of one and a half days to remove and install the torque tubes & support. It also took about a half day to rebuild the "new" brake master cylinders and to bleed the brake system.

ragwing_nut

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in them if the price is right

Heftiger

Reaction score
They belong to a family member.
He wants them listed for $900 plus shipping.