• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA24 GFC500 Install Complete!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just installed a full (pitch/roll/pitch trim/yaw) Garmin GFC500 autopilot in my PA24-260 Comanche and thought others might be interested in the test flight video. The install was done by A&J Aviation with assistance from my A&P@Sentinel Aviation. There is no audio in the video past the intro, so please be ware. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I overlayed the servo torque percents to the video so you see how much force is being applied.

I used it for my first real trip this weekend. We flew from KMXA -> KBYH -> KHBZ and then KHBZ -> KMXA. It was amazing! I used takeoff mode to transition into roll + IAS mode for the climb. I transitioned to NAV+ALT for the cruise. Then I used VS mode to descend into pattern altitude and took over from there. I did the exact same thing on the way back. The performance is outstanding. Very, very smooth control of the aircraft.

I've also done a presentation for the NE Comanche Tribe on tips and tricks from the install. I documented everything over the course of the install. On the video, we open up the plane and move the servos with the cameras in the tail and on the outside so you can see it work. If there is interest, I can post a link to that here too.

I'd also like to thank A&J Aviation and Sentinel for their work. It was an great experience and the very first flight performed flawlessly.

Latest posts

Back