• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-32 electrical issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkvet

Reaction score
I'm just getting to know my new 1980 Saratoga (normally aspirated) and have found an electrical issue. When I picked it up Wednesday am the battery had been charged during the annual that had just been completed. The plane had sat for the last 12 months with only 1 hour use. The battery was a brand new Gill that was installed at the beginning of that dry spell. It was hangared the whole time.

The 45 minute flight home was uneventful and I hangared it for the night. I was so excited the next am to take my first "lesson flight" in the new bird. At 7am I pulled it out and went through the checklist... Turned the key and barely a click. The battery was stone cold dead. I put it back in the hangar and hooked up my trickle charger for about 4 hours and then pulled the battery to take and be tested. Auto zone tested the battery and said it was fine showing just over 400 CCA, but about half discharged. I put the battery back on the plane and hooked the trickle charger back up for the rest of the afternoon.

I will mention that later that afternoon the battery still showed to be charging on the trickle charger and the charger was pretty hot... I figured this was normal since I was asking a trickle charger to charge a battery from dead to full all day long.

So later that same afternoon (yesterday) I pulled out the plane and it started up just fine. No problems at all. The Load Meter on the panel showed everything to be fine but after about 30-40 minutes of flight I could sense the battery was getting weak. It was dusk and I could tell my wing lights were getting dimmer. When I turned them on and off my panel lights would change intensity. The electric back-up attitude indicator began misbehaving (I'm guessing that was associated but maybe not?)

I landed and taxi'd back. Upon shutdown I tried to restart and the battery was weak, barely a wiggle of the prop.

This am the alternator and voltage regulator were both tested and found to be normal. My AI is scratching his head a little at this point. He is still questioning the condition of the battery despite the "normal test".

I'm also having some other minor electrical issues but I can't really tie them with this issue??? The other issues are the PTT switches (both yokes) on the #1 Com (Garmin 530) do not work. The work fine with the #2 king radio. That 340 was swapped out with another unit and that didn't change anything. The other issue is the primary master avionics switch doesn't work. There is a backup master avionics switch that can be armed by reaching under the panel and that works fine.

I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts regarding the issue. I am planning to do a battery swap with another plane soon and see if it has the same issue. I just can't imagine a battery that will take a charge from my trickle charger and then start the plane without and trouble would simply go dead during a half hour of flying???

Latest posts

Back