• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-32 Cherokee 260 Operation costs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ds1018

Reaction score
I've been considering buying a plane and since we hope to expand my family past it's current 4 members in the near future I've been considering a Cherokee six. Most of what I've found in my target price range is in the 1965 to 1970 range with roughly 1000 hours of life left on the engine.

Fixed costs are fairly easy to calculate like hangar, insurance, a couple grand for the annual, IFR certificiation, GPS updates, etc..

The operating costs are what I'm trying to get a ballpark figure for and thought ya'll might be the guys to ask. Dividing the cost of an overhaul by the number of remaining hours is simple enough as is accounting for the cost oil for a given change schedule. Probably a prop overhaul needs to get factored in there somewhere. What other kinds of costs should I side aside money per hour of use? I'm assuming I should set aside some for maintenance of wear and tear items like tires and brakes.

What do ya'll set aside per hour of use? I know the cost I need to set aside will vary depending on the year model of the plane and the condition it's in when I get it but I'm just trying to get a rough estimate.

Latest posts

Back