• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA 32-300 with IO-540-K1A5 with HIGH EGT during approach low MP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klockow

Reaction score
This is the damage done as reported by my mechanic

The valves all look good. I did however come across an issue you need to keep a close eye on. Cylinder #2 (left front from the pilots seat) has undergone some serious heat stress. It looks like preignition/ detonation has occurred. The piston still has its edges but they are rough and distorted. The concern is a fissure has opened up above the intake valve on the aluminum cylinder head. It’s wide and long and there is also a small one above the spark plug.​

After downloading the engine analyzer we found that during the descent and approach phase of flight, when I reduce MP, the EGT increases to above 1500 F. I usually fly around 1480-1490 F. It is most pronounced during the approach though. I'll set my power and then verify all temps are good - usually having to enrich the mixture to keep the EGT below 1500. But this gets me so often...usually after turn to base, I'll make a small adjustment to MP, like from 1300 to 1200 inches, pretty much a tiny adjustment, forgetting to check my EGT. And then it hits me to remember to check the EGT and its around 1540!!!!! All the while the CHT is nice and steady around 340.

Any idea what would cause this? There isn't one particular cylinder that this happens to, across the board the EGT rises.

Latest posts

Back