• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA 28R-201 gear droops down from UP position, I think I need hydraulic PART # 38998-005

Reaction score
PA 28r 201 GEAR LEAKS DOWN IN UP POSITION AND I THINK I NEED A HYDRAULIC POWER PACK PART # 38998-005. PLEASE RESPOND. THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoDelta

Reaction score
Does the gear go up normally, and then "sag?" If so, it is far more likely that you have an internal hydraulic leak in the system.

donkep

Reaction score
First, check the emergency gear extension lever to make sure it is not in the emergency extension position which would allow the great to freefall down.

Suggest you put the aircraft up on jacks, retract the gear, then turn off the master, leave it overnight and see if the gear remains retracted as it should, or if it leaks down per ED's comment.

LN2

Stealth Member
Reaction score
I may have the serviceable spare I have been saving for my plane. I’m away until next weekend but I can check the P/N next week if you’re still in need of it.

Reaction score
Does the gear go up normally, and then "sag?" If so, it is far more likely that you have an internal hydraulic leak in the system.
The airplane on jacks and the gear is up and after three hours the gear will drop down about 25 percent. Turn the master switch on and it goes up. Thank for your responds.

Reaction score
First, check the emergency gear extension lever to make sure it is not in the emergency extension position which would allow the great to freefall down.

Suggest you put the aircraft up on jacks, retract the gear, then turn off the master, leave it overnight and see if the gear remains retracted as it should, or if it leaks down per ED's comment.
Hi : I checked emergency gear extension and it's in the up position. I did leave the airplane on jacks for 3 hours and drop about 25% . Turn on the master and it pops up. Thank you for your responds.

Reaction score
I may have the serviceable spare I have been saving for my plane. I’m away until next weekend but I can check the P/N next week if you’re still in need of it.

Hi: The S/# 2837038 , The pump was is made by Oildyne and the P# 12v 38998-005. Thank you for your response.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
Hi : I checked emergency gear extension and it's in the up position. I did leave the airplane on jacks for 3 hours and drop about 25% . Turn on the master and it pops up. Thank you for your responds.
That certainly sounds like a leak rather than a problem with the pump or pump motor. Assuming that the hydraulic fluid reservoir is not very low the leak is internal to the system. That is, something is allowing fluid to leak between the high pressure side of the system to the low pressure side. The most common culprit is the "hoof valve" used for the emergency extension system.

Reaction score
In beginning I was thinking it was in the shuttle value which is located in the base of the pump. Now I agree with your diagnosis, however the first thing I did was to check emergency lever to see if it was all the way up. Thank you again for your help.