• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28-160 O-320-D2A Hot Cylinder #3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there Cherokee experts. I saw this previous thread on a hot #2 cylinder where there was a magical baffling fix for that problem.

I have been troubleshooting a hot #3 cylinder for a while now and am running out of ideas. We had the cylinder rebuilt, we've replaced the hydraulic lifters to make sure there wasn't a valve timing problem. We've checked and gapped the plugs.

Much like the first thread, especially on hot days, I'm having to pull back the throttle and flatten out the climb to keep the CHTs below 440F, and sometimes that's not possible flying in Florida. Cylinders 3 and 4 are always my hotter two, but #3 is consistently 30-40F hotter than #4. We put some extra baffling in to see if we could redirect airflow and the temps are worse.

Getting ready for annual later this month, and I've already bought all new silicone to start rebuilding the baffles. Is there a potential solution other than completely rebuilding them? If it do rebuild them, any suggestions on how I don't end up with the same problem after paying for all that work?

Thanks for any suggestions/experience you may have with this.

Latest posts

Back