• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28-140 ammeter wanted

raymos

Reaction score
Mine is stuck between 30 and 40 amps. Anyone have a unit they replaced with newer tech?

Or recommendations on something newer/better.

I just installed a Plane Power alternator and the old regulator died a few hours later. It has been replaced with a Plane Power unit.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it stuck.? The plastic cover over the instrument cluster may be touching the ammeter needle. Remove the cover and see if it becomes unstuck.

If you need the instrument replaced or repaired, contact Keystone instruments in Lock Haven, Pa.

raymos

Reaction score
Thanks, Ray. I'll give them a ring. The gauge worked fine until the regulator went out.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ray. I'll give them a ring. The gauge worked fine until the regulator went out.
Check the cover first. I assume the gauge reads 30+ amps with the engine off? There is no reason a bad regulator would damage the ammeter. The alternator CB would shut down the system at 60 amps.

raymos

Reaction score
Check the cover first. I assume the gauge reads 30+ amps with the engine off? There is no reason a bad regulator would damage the ammeter. The alternator CB would shut down the system at 60 amps.

Will do. Thanks again.

Ray - PA-28-140

dzirbel

Reaction score
I have an ammeter that I pulled when I installed the CGR. Let me know if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Piper Forum

kshaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the original ammeter in my Piper Warrior with a Davtron ammeter (today in fact). I will take $25 for the old one. It works great but has a faded face. Send me a PM after you discuss with your A&P if interested.

arizonaairsalvage

Reaction score
Hello

We have ammeters from all pipers. Are you looking for -30 to +30. Let us know. Arizona Air Salvage Johnny 602-354-7405

arizonaairsalvage.com

Tom

Reaction score
Before replacing the ammeter, note in your AD Compliance list, if the Ammeter AD applies to your airplane. The Ammeter compliance is signified by a white dot on the lower right of the instrument face. There is a reqd shunt to be installed in the system and use of the wrong instrument will render the AD not complied with and prolly wont work. The AD may not affect your particular airplane, but it is worth paying attention to the details and checking.