• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Overhaul Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptTH

Reaction score
Lycoming recommends if an engine has not been run up to the limits of their TBO hrs within 12 years that engine still need to be overhauled.

Now what should be done with an engine which was overhauled in 1995 and since then only ran 600 hours.

600 / 25 =24hrs/yr average ... Does it sound still ok to you ? Is this a common situation in GA community?

I mean I've heard many times that an average GA pilot flies 50 hrs a year. Even at 75 hrs a yr flight time average a pilot reaches 2000 hrs in 26 year.

Will you be comfortable with an engine overhauled 25 yrs ago and since then only flown 600 hrs. ?

Should I worry?

Latest posts

Back