• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Original O-360 baffling placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've been having issues since my engine was overhauled this year with the CHTs on the back two cylinders, but especially #4. I've gone over is with Savvy Aviation but all they tell me is "Make sure your baffles are good" with little to no advise as to what they are supposed to look like or how they fit. I've taken it back to my mechanic with some success but I'm still juggling to keep #4 below 400°F.

My current question is about this scoop here.
20210531_185453.jpg

it wraps around the fins here

42526.jpeg

Unlike the sections lower on the barrel which are held tight to the fins with a rod or further up which mount tight to the flat face of the fins, this one section does not make contact with the fins and just generally curves near it about 1/2 to 1/4 inch from the fins.

20220908_17_31_53.png

Is this normal for this baffling or is there something that is supposed to be holding this section tight to the fins?

Engine is O-360-A3A. Airframe is PA-28-180 from 1962 with the original full hinge cowling setup.

34422.jpeg

Latest posts

Back