• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

One million string laces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I’m taking advantage of my engine overhaul down-time to do some panel upgrades. This involves tearing out all of the analog engine gauges and fuel gauges, and replacing with a CGR-30P and an Aerospace Logic FL202. This is no small job, and involves tearing into the existing wiring bundles in the panel.

It seems in the late 70s, they were fond of tying up bundles of avionics and switch wiring with waxed string. I’ve cut through a -ton- of these while trying to free and re-route individual wires.

This has got to be a method that only works well when building harnesses on the bench. A part of me feels nostalgic to be removing things that have been in there since she left the factory - but another part of me wants these all to go away.

if you have to remove these at some point, I suggest a sharp razor knife, running along the wire bundle. Wire dykes and scissors did not work that well.

1613791407809.jpeg

Latest posts

Back