• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

One leaning question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear All!

I have a more or less simple question regarding correct leaning having in mind that I do not have a digital engine monitor currently checking CHT and EGT but just one single analog old-fashioned Arcor EGT-gauge:

Please consider the following example: At density altitude of about 4000 ft I am decreasing the RPM down to let's say 2250 which according to my engine performance chart will give a rated power of about 60 %. To achieve my favourite setting of less fuel consumption I am leaning now watching the RPM till it peaks. This could sometimes mean that the RPM will be around +150 RPM higher. Basically I keep this RPM-peak setting at the mentioned cruising altitude. According to the engine performance chart I would now run the engine at a rated power of around 70 %.

I am now concerned that my CHT will be way too high as I am running the engine at 70 % or even more. This comes out from the standard engine performance charts showing the relastionship of CHT/EGT temperature and RPM published in the technical literature by the engine producers. Or is it a logical error....?

Maybe someone could help, I am even considering buying a simple engine monitor for that reason as I am somehow afraid....

(BTW: The engine runs fine at that setting showing white-greyish deposit at the exhaust pipe only...)

Thank you and have a great day!

Matt

Latest posts

Back