• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oleo Nose Strut Distance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, when I bought my 63' 180 the nose strut extended this far past my fairing.

The nose strut eventually went down when I would enter the plane and start it. Sometime when steeping off the wing I could gently rock the wing and the nose strut would go back up. I had it serviced today, and the mechanic found little to no fluid in it. They replaced fluid and nitrogen. When putting the fairing back on the nose struts position is like it is in the pic (down). Without fairing, 4 inches is exposed. They said that is the way it should be, not fully extended like before.
I have read that the 180 will sit nose high on the ground, so never thought much have the extended nose strut... but now, I am not sure what to think?

180-7.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

Latest posts

Back