• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Old vs New Power Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a relatively new Seneca III owner, I am trying to get better about dialing in power settings and fuel burns, etc. Especially with the intercooler STC installed, I seem to be going back and forth between charts trying to fly the "correct" MP/RPMs.

I had a copy of a Seneca III POH on my iPad that I downloaded from somewhere just for ease of studying/reference when I wasn't at the plane with my actual manual. Well, I grabbed my POH and was looking at the charts in there and it seems between the digital POH I have (rev: June 11, 1982) and my aircraft one (rev: Nov 15, 2004) Piper changed the nomenclature of their power settings. In the older manual they used the traditional 75%, 65%, 55%, and 45%. In the new POH uses just three settings, Maximum Cruise Power, Recommended Cruise Power, and Economy Cruise Power. These line up generally 75/65/55%, but not really. And especially in the charted fuel flows.

The performance package in Foreflight still uses the 75/65/55/45 data. Has anyone cracked the code on the differences or am I over thinking this and I should just use 31"/2500/25 gph to go fast and 28"/2400/22 gph to save some fuel?

Attachments

• Power Setting Page-Old.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Power Setting Page-New.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back