• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Temp Hot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Phillips

Reaction score
64 PA-28 0-360 when its 60 degrees out I can't get the gauge to go past the center 200 mark. However as soon as its 75+ outside the plane goes to the red. Cutting power, taxi, etc cool it down. Sender and vernatherm replaced. Oil cooler is warm. Oil pressures good.

I landed when it went to the red taxied 3 minutes and pulled out the IR thermometer. Oil filter read 180, base of sender 175, Oil cooler 140. I pulled the dipstick and touched the oil, it was hot but didn't burn me.

Bad gauge? I should be able to place a sender in boiling water right?

I'm probably over thinking this, however a needle near the red terrifies me.

Thanks for suggestions.

Latest posts

Back