• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Pressure Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Saratoga HP II's oil pressure gauge is not working properly. I have a Horizon Engine Instrument/Engine System installed. With the engine running, when power is turn on the unit, the oil pressure needle typically swings up to the top and in the past settles at about 65-70 psi with the engine idling. The gauge needle now either does not move when power is applied or will swing up to the top and then settle at 0 psi. At times it will flicker and swing up to the top and then perhaps reads an accurate reading of the oil pressure (70 psi). It is intermittent. The annunciator panel light for oil pressure does not come on.

The Hobbs meter moves (I understand this is oil driven) and the oil temperature reads accurately at about 180 degrees. The temperature gauge does not venture higher.

I have changed the oil and filter, and still have the same results. My AP pulled the oil line from the firewall to the pressure sender, inside the cockpit, and cleaned it out. The pressure sender may be the issue or could it be the Horizon Engine Instrument/Engine System. There is a maintenance mode on the Horizon but it requires a password (four digit code) and I have no idea what this password my be.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back