• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil on the side.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I went for a short flight, 45 min to get fuel at another airport as it is a dollar lower in price.... and then came back, another 45 min. At the fuel stop, there was a very slight amount of oil on the side of the cowling, and a drop on the front latch. Looking the motor over did not see anything wet with oil, nothing on the exhaust or intake runners. The pushrod tubes were dry, and the oil cooler hoses were dry.

After flying home, with over 6 1/2 qts of oil, there was a lot more on the cowling. yet the engine looked dry. both latches had accumulated oil, and the vent door, that was open, was also damp.

So where could it be coming from??.. I did change the rocker box drain back hoses last annual, and the rocker cover gaskets, silicone, look dry. the screws are tight. The front main seal area looks dry. Also last annual the #2 cylinder pushrod tubes seals were replaced as one was weeping. have been dry since. this was in March of this year.

About 40 hr past annual and time to de-cowl for an oil change and once over anyway but what areas are good to look before cleaning everything up??..I did not look much after landing at my home base as it will be easier to look when the engine is cooler.

20200704_095735.jpg

Latest posts

Back