• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Flow Direction Through Lycoming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m curious to know the direction of oil flow through my engine. TIO-540-S1AD. One hose from the oil cooler goes to the oil filter housing, the other cooler hose enters the engine at another location on the back of the engine. Does the oil exit the engine, flow through the filter, then the cooler and then back into the engine? Or is it the other way around?

The oem oil temp probe is threaded into the filter housing and I am also wondering if it is sensing oil temp after the oil has made its way through the engine or just after going through the cooler?

I have another oil temp probe for the JPI 830 that is threaded into an oil galley in the very front of the engine. Which of the probes is likely to see hotter oil? I’m just curious about all this & appreciate the expertise that exists in this group. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back